Opening Words:
It was when I stopped searching for home within others
And lifted the foundations of home within myself
I found there were no roots more intimate
Than those between a mind and body
That have decided to be whole
~Rupi Kaur
Sermon: Losing Our Heroes
When it was revealed that Neil Gaiman, my favorite author,
was a serial rapist I was devastated. In my teenage years, I had gone out of my
way to get my hands on as many of his books as possible and I still to that day
viewed him as both a writing and moral idol based on his non-fiction writings
and talks. He had a profound impact on my experience of strong female lead
characters and influenced my views on trauma and abuse. When I was in college I
waited in a line that went around three buildings from 4pm until 11:30pm just
to get one of my books signed by him. American Gods (one of his books)
profoundly shaped how I interacted with religion and the power of belief. He
was married to another one of my idols, the musician Amanda Palmer, and I
thought that together they were unstoppable. My first hint should have been
their messy divorce that divided the internet into taking sides with one or the
other. Then, this information came out and my beliefs about Neil Gaiman as a
Good person and moral exemplar were entirely shattered. I was heartbroken that
someone I had looked up to so much turned out to be such a vile person.
I know that many other people in my age group had this
experience when J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter series, came out
as transphobic. So many people who had looked to Harry Potter as a source of
moral excellence and genuine acceptance had their worlds blown apart.
But this phenomenon of our heroes being outed as bad people
is not solely a product of the time we live in now. I remember when I was
young, I learned that Gandhi was a perfect and admirable revolutionary with
peerless beliefs and a strictly good moral code. However, when I was in high
school, I learned the truth about Gandhi. Despite his impact and good
intentions, he was wildly racist and treated POC with extreme disrespect. He
was also incredibly sexist, treating women (especially his wife) as lesser beings
and fighting against access to birth control. This is not even to mention some
of the practices he participated in to prove his celibacy and religious views.
It isn’t easy to lose our heroes. Every time another famous
person is outed as a rapist or racist, I feel my heart break a little more for
those who looked up to them. Sometimes it can feel like losing our heroes makes
us lose faith in humanity as a whole. “If even they’re a horrible person, then
what hope do the rest of us have?” Although losing our heroes isn’t entirely
unique to this time, it is more prominent because of social media and our
obsession with knowing the details of celebrities’ lives. Therefore, it seems
like almost every week that more evidence comes out against people we look up
to.
So how do we take this? How do we deal with losing the
people who acted as our idols and moral compasses? Does it mean that all of our
idols are bad people? Do we have to stop enjoying their work?
Well to answer the first question—how do we deal with this—I
think it’s important to first acknowledge our own heartbreak and anger. These
are extremely valid feelings that we should feel when someone does something
despicable. Then, I think it’s important to recognize that everyone, even
celebrities, are human. This means that they are just as liable to do terrible
things as any other person, if not even more so because of their access to
power and influence. After recognizing this, we should help in doing the work
to hold these people accountable for their actions, not allowing them to get
away with things because they are rich or powerful. Then, we are allowed to
grieve. In this grief, I think it is most important to recognize the values and
beliefs that you had admired in this person and realize that you were not at
fault for looking up to them because you saw these things. Remember that the
ideals and values that you saw in this person are still valuable and good, even
if they were unable to uphold them themselves.
Then, “does this mean that all of our idols are bad
people?”. Objectively, it does not. However, it is important to still keep in
mind that these people are human, and looking at them as infallible is simply
unrealistic. There will always be times that people mess up or do something
wrong. It’s how they choose to deal with these things that matters. Obviously,
there are degrees of messing up that are acceptable, and those that are not,
but overall people should be allowed to make up for the mistakes that they
make. For example, Zach Braff (an actor in the show Scrubs and a film director)
wrote the movie Garden State, where he displayed Natalie Portman as the perfect
example of the sexist Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope. However, later on when he
was confronted with this accusation, Braff owned up to it, saying that he made
a mistake and had learned from it so that he could do better in the future.
Because of this, I am able to see Zach Braff, one of my idols, as a human who
made a mistake and learned from it rather than as a bad person.
The last question: do we have to stop enjoying their work?
This answer is complicated and nuanced. On one hand, the good things that you
got out of their work and example were not fake. You genuinely experienced
these good things and learned from them, so they are still valuable. However,
we cannot just stop there and say “death of the author” or separating the art
from the artist is good enough. At the very least, we owe our favorite works of
art or our preferred social revolutions a more critical eye with our new
perspective on their authors beliefs and actions. More often than not, we
unfortunately find things that we had not seen before that support these poor
views and choices. For example, in Harry Potter, the existence of goblins as
big-nosed and frugal is inherently anti-Semitic due to the cultural context and
existing tropes, whether she intended it or not. Despite these issues and her
actions, there are still positive things one could draw from Harry Potter.
However, we owe ourselves the critical thinking to determine what those really
are and what falls short. In addition, it is important not to support these
people or their platforms, especially monetarily. This means not buying books
by Neil Gaiman or purchasing Harry Potter merchandise. Because these people can
and will use their platforms and the money they get to continue to spread hate,
as J.K. Rowling has done by donating exuberant amounts of money to anti-trans
organizations. And, perhaps most importantly, we should offer loud and focused
support to the groups being harmed by these issues without shaming those who
draw good things from their works.
As a whole, losing our heroes is hard. It’s complicated and
messy and painful. But it is also an important part of growing up to see our
heroes as human beings, perhaps worthy of our admiration, but also flawed and
capable of making mistakes. When we lose our heroes it also presents us with a
fantastic opportunity to reassess our own values and the things we admired
about these people. In a sense, it allows us to become our own heroes by
championing the good and worthwhile values that we saw in these people. So, I
invite you to take a critical look at your heroes and the values and beliefs
that you appreciate in them and decide how you want to live out these values
and beliefs yourself.
Closing Words:
Who made the world?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?
Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean—
the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and
down—
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her
face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the
fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
~Mary Oliver
No comments:
Post a Comment